Wednesday, July 1, 2015

IT'S THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT

I finally had time to sew today.  I have been so cranky all week and I swear that is just an indication of sewing withdrawal.  I’m sure my daughter and friends will be happy to hear that I took the cure today and sewed.   I figured piecing would only aggravate my stress, so I chose to do appliqué and made this little butterfly block. The pattern is from the Flower Festival book by Kim Schaefer.  I had four blocks left over from a quilt that I made from this book several years ago.  I thought I’d make a table runner with the four leftover flower blocks; however, when I started putting them together, I decided these flowers needed some bugs.  This book has six adorable bug patterns in it.
Above is a close up of one of the wings.  I have to admit that I didn't follow pattern directions.  I didn't want to applique those small flowers.  So I decided to fussy cut some flowers and fuse them onto the wings.  After I did that, I decided I needed to do something to make the flowers stand out and added the black free motion stitching.  Not the best job I’ve done, but I like black stitching and the feel it adds to my piece.  You can get the Flower Festival book at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.
Remember this table runner?  I made it in 2013.  The pattern for it is also in this book.  Do I need to add that I certainly have gotten my money’s worth out of this book?  It has fifty adorable blocks of appliquéd flowers and bugs.  There are also nine complete projects for you. 

DON’T FORGET:
  • Doll Bee, Thursday, July 2
  • Sampler and Bee, Saturday, July 4
ON ANOTHER NOTE: 
♥ Caroll,
Caring , Sharing and Creating Smiles

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I love your free motion stitching around the flowers. I had to look at the picture close up to see that it was stitching and not part of the original print. Looks great!

Barb said...

Oh my gosh...love both....

Allie-oops Designs said...

I LOVE your butterfly - and the fmq around the flowers! I'm terribly fond of that look. Your table runner is gorgeous too!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo