Tuesday, February 4, 2014

NEW WAY TO APPLIQUE

New at the Attic Window Quilt Shop!  CutRite™ Heavy-Duty Freezer Paper.  Since I always use the freezer paper method when doing appliqué I decided to look into this new product.  What I discovered:
  • When doing my freezer paper method, I iron three pieces of freezer paper together to make my templates.  This Heavy-Duty freezer paper is as sturdy as card stock. It is three times thicker than ordinary freezer paper.   Not only does it save the ironing step, but there is no buckling or curling which sometimes occurs when I iron the three pieces of freezer paper together.
  • This Heavy-duty freezer paper is also re-usable.
  • The coating on this Heavy-Duty freezer paper seems to be better than the freezer paper that I buy at the grocery store.  I’ve had several people complain to me that the coating on the freezer paper from the grocery store must have been changed because it doesn’t seem to stick as nicely to the fabric as it used to. 
  • You can use this Heavy-Duty freezer paper with any ink jet printer, so no more copying the patters, shapes when making templates.
  • Each packet contains 25 8 ½” X 11” sheets. 
I had to give this a try.  First off, I ran a sheet through my printer and copied the design I wanted to use (see first photo). I had no problem with the printer handling this thicker paper.  Then I cut out the pieces as I normally would.
Then I ironed the template to the fabric and applied the starch around the edges.
Then, as usual, I ironed the fabric around the template.
Above is the template pulled from the fabric and the fabric is ready to sew to the background fabric.
To show that each template is re-useable I cut out the center from the original template and made the center for the flower.  Worked great!
Then in my haste to try this new freezer paper, I forgot to reverse certain parts of the design.  I remembered that I have read on other blogs where some people chose to place the template in the reverse of what I do, and do not use starch but bring the fabric around to the glossy side of the freezer paper and iron it down.  I tried it and it worked!
You can see the start of my design here.  I would recommend that you try the CutRite™ Heavy-Duty Freezer Paper for your next appliqué project. 

DON’T FORGETThe Heart of Winter Tour is February 8th.  Call the shop to make your reservation as space is limited and the bus is filling up fast!

ON ANOTHER NOTE: She Can Quilt has a tutorial for a nice over mitt.

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

9 comments:

Lynn said...

Thanks so much for the review! I saw this product recently and wondered if it was worth trying. Sounds like it is.

Ramona said...

So glad to hear about this because I have had all of the above mentioned problems and tracing patterns can be a pain. Thanks for sharing.

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Very nice! My trouble is that I use freezer paper in such great quantities that it wouldnt be economic. If I'm working on a normal size applique I'll have to give it a whirl!

Allie said...

Glad to know about this Caroll, love that pattern!

Unknown said...

Love the freezer paper method also. I guess I am missing something with the new heavy duty freezer paper. I can't figure out how to bring fabric around to glossy side of freezer paper without NOT ironing the applique. If you iron the applique first, you would be bringing fabric around to dull side of paper, right?

West Michigan Quilter said...

Cathy, I'm not sure what you mean. If you iron the FP onto the wrong side of the fabric, leave a 1/4 inch of fabric around the template, and add starch to that, then pull around the template and iron. You can follow the instructions that I have on my sidebar. You do it the same as if you are using regular FP. Click on the witch's feet to get the instructions.

Sandra S said...

Where can I find this Freezer Paper? I would like to give it a try.
Thanks, Sandra S

Terry said...

I have been using the Heavy Duty FP for a while, but yesterday I really gave it the mega test. I used 1 cut out design(a petal) 180 (yes,one hundred and eighty)times! It is still working like it did the first time! Amazing.

Terry said...

Sandra S,
I got my Heavy Duty Freezer Paper from Amazon (pk of 25 81/2x11 sheet). You can put them in your printer!
Terry
PS Sorry this took so long .

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo