Wednesday, May 22, 2013

YOU CAN BE FREEING AND HAVE SOME FUN!


Earlier this month, Cathy at Cabbage Quilts blogged about doing appliqué with scissors.  She talked about how she cannot draw, which made it difficult to design her own quilts.  So, she decided to skip the drawing part and just use her scissors to cut shapes then appliqué them to a background to make a quilt.  She said she found this method of cutting a little bit wonky, freeing and fun.  Wow, this sounded like my kind of thing!  So I set out to make a wallhanging like Cathy did.  Above is the result of my first try.
 I had written Cathy and told her how much I liked her wallhangings and that I was going to try to copy what she had done.  She wrote a nice note back that I should go for it.  Above is a close-up of my flowers.  I wish I had looked closer at how Cathy had quilted her flowers when I was doing mine.  I like how her quilting gives her flowers depth.
 I have a special place in mind for this wallhanging or else I might have made it a little longer.  I hope I have encouraged you, as Cathy did me, to try your hand at doing some improve designing and quilting.  As Cathy said, it is freeing and fun.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: If improve or applique isn't your thing, you might like this tutorial that Thread Bias has for a lovely modern crossroads block.  


PS:  I'm linking up to Confessions of A Fabric Addict today.

Until next time,

Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

6 comments:

Mary said...

I love your wallhanging. What a great way to try one. Good job!

Mama Pea said...

Cute, Caroll! That's exciting that you could just cut all this!

Ellie Q said...

I love how cheery your wall hanging is! And that technique is great--one of my gripes about applique (as you just read on my blog!) is that I don't like how many times you're doing the same shape--tracing, cutting, stitching, etc. This eliminates much of that!

Lynn said...

Fabulous Caroll! I just love your fabric choices. I don't enjoy appliqué, as you know, but not having to draw/trace the pieces is more appealing.

Sarah Craig said...

Very cute, Caroll! I will have to give this a try! Whoop whoop!!

ipatchandquilt said...

It sure looks like a lot of fun... And the colours just make you smile whenever you walk passed this wall hanging!

Esther
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo