Friday, February 17, 2012

MAKE BOOKMARKS FOR RELAY FOR LIFE


I stopped in at the Attic Window Quilt Shop earlier this week to pick up some of the wonderful Malka Dubrawsky fabric that I blogged about yesterday, and ran into Yvonne.  She was making these stunning bookmarks. 
 This is a close up of one of Yvonne’s bookmarks.  She uses the Double Diamond Ruler (by Bright Quilting Notions) to make them.  She said she got half a yard of three different batiks and made about 25 bookmarks.  She plans to donate them to Relay for Life 2012.  When I admired her stitching,  Yvonne said she had so many decorative stitches on her machine that she never uses and thought it would be a fun way to try them out.  I think that is probably true of all of us.  I don’t even know which ones I have on my machine.  Yvonne said that she used Wonder Under on some of the bookmarks and used Pellon 808 on the others because she wanted to make them stiffer.  I think Yvonne qualifies to Angel status, don’t you?  UPDATE:  See next post for tutorial information.

I just love free form quilting.  Maybe it’s because I’m not so good at patchwork and this style is easier for me.  I don’t know, but I really like the modern look that Teresa Down Under has on her site.  There is a nice tutorial too.  It is a great way to use your scraps and reminds me of my recent effort to use up my scraps.  I’ll post about it soon and you can see what I mean.  In the mean time why not try your hand at this free form piecing.
Stay Calm! Stay Kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

4 comments:

Michele Bilyeu said...

How lovely! I've seen this kind of bookmark in real life and they are so very lovely. Thanks for the links and great ideas!

Linda said...

Those are so pretty!! What a striking design!

Mama Pea said...

Those are pretty! They would make really neat gifts.

Linda H said...

These are amazing!! I love them so much that I had to blog about them today.

I just discovered your blog and only wish I lived in Michigan so I could visit your store. Sadly we are lacking of good quilt shops in my area. (I was born in Michigan and have many good memories of the years I lived there.)

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo