Friday, September 9, 2011

FIRST AND LAST ATTEMPT AT SCRAPBOOKING!

This past couple of weeks my daughter has been coming over to help me…calm down.  “I know just the thing to reduce your stress,” she said, and moved into my house with all her scrapbooking supplies.  They took up my entire front room.  I had mentioned that I had a small project that I wanted to make into a scrapbook for a friend.  Gads, never in my wildest dreams did I think that scrapbooking could be so ….well maybe I shouldn’t tell you what I thought.  I’ll just say that sewing on all these buttons for the front cover was a bear!
This is how the finished project looked.  Not what I had envisioned at all.  I went to a zillion stores looking for grommets.  When I finally found them, I hurried home and tried one out on a scrap piece of fabric, which was a good thing, because the grommet would not fit over four layers of Duck fabric.  I ended up making a buttonhole for the rings to go through, then covered the rings with strips of fabric.  Anyway, this was a great learning experience.  I discovered how wonderful daughters can be and  how much I LOVE APPLIQUE!  ;o)

For those of you in the area, did you know that Becky Goldsmith of Piece O’ Cake Designs will be lecturing Tuesday, September 27 at the evening meeting of the West Michigan Quilters’ Guild.  This is what was in the guild Patch of News:  Becky is known for her fun spirit in teaching, and the fun designs she and her partner Linda create in their books and patterns.  Their vinyl overlay technique is very clever in keeping your pieces in place as you applique.  For our lecture, Becky will help us with color – a very scary topic for many quilters. 

Becky will also be teaching two classes:  Whimsical Garden is the featured quilt for the Tuesday, Sept. 27 class from 9 – 4.  Picasso’s Garden is Wednesday, Sept. 28, from 9-4 and is a lesson in improvisational quilting for the quilter who doesn’t usually break the rules. 

These classes sound like so much fun.  You can read more about them and find out how to sign up for the classes at the guild website here.  

DON’T FORGET!  The Harvest Shop Hop is coming up.  Two big weekends!  Thursday, Sept. 22 through Saturday, Sept. 24 and Thursday, Sept. 29 through Saturday, Oct. 1.  A bus is available.  Fourteen shops are participating.  This is the tenth year for the shop hop and the shops are going all out to make it a special event.  You can get your passport for only $10 at the Attic Window Quilt Shop.  Participants will also receive free patterns and a pin.
Stay calm! Stay kind! Stay Positive!
Caroll

6 comments:

Barb said...

I think scrapbooking is just like quilting....it just grows (all of the supplies)....

You did good!!

Mary said...

I think you did a great job. I don't scrapbook, but do make cards, and there is a lot of supplies for that "hobby" too. It is to me, just another form of quilting!! I really love the green heart!!

Mama Pea said...

Your book turned out so cute! I love it. I know how frustrating that can be sometimes...I've been dipping back into scrapbooking and can feel the same way. Oh, how I wish I could get away for a day and do the Becky Goldsmith workshop. You know I bought that pattern. But I just can't that week!

Allie said...

I think your book turned out cute!! I don't think I'd love scrapbooking, Caroll, especially considering all the supplies you need....
I'm SO SO jealous that Becky Goldsmith is coming - wahhh...I love her stuff! Enjoy!

Terry said...

Love that button heart! :0)

Lynn said...

I love the button heart! The scrapbook turned out cute. I've tried scrapbooking too and decided I'd rather spend my time quilting.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo