Tuesday, February 22, 2011

SMALL PROJECTS FOR NEW TECHNIQUES

Making small projects like Mug Rugs gives you the opportunity to try various methods of appliqué, piecing, stitching, free motion quilting, etc.  Sometimes, the thought of tackling a large quilt and at the same time doing something new, say a new technique, is overwhelming.  During the past holidays, I became addicted to making Mug Rugs.  I found that they are the perfect project for trying something new and at the same time practice perfecting my binding.  It takes no time to make a small rug, bind it, and sit back and admire your work.  A small project like this is not likely to end up in the UFO pile, and even if it does, you haven’t invested a lot of time, effort or money.  I made the above mug rug by using the fusing technique.  Normally I shy away from that, as I don’t like the raw edge look; but after seeing what others have done, I decided to give it a try. 

Here I used my all time favorite, freezer paper appliqué to make this mug rug.  Do you see the difference? Each technique gives you an entirely different look.  I suppose if I had used the same design, the looks would have been similar, but I don’t think I would have liked it as well.  Nor would I have had so much fun.  Trying something new gives me an energy boost.
Then I wondered how a mug rug would look in all red and used redwork for this design. This is also a great way to try a new quilting design.  Notice the different quilting on these samples.   


Ever wonder what to do with those “ugly” fabrics.  I made this one out of what I consider “ugly” fabrics that I would never use again.  I kind of like how it turned out.
I bet you all have leftover blocks. Here I took ½ of a leftover block and used it to make this mug rug. I used the other half on a placemat, which I will show you soon.

There are a zillion ideas out there for designs, techniques, fabric use, etc.  I saw today on someone's blog where she was using these small projects as wall hangings.  They really looked cute!

Why not join the Mug Rug Club at the Attic Window Quilt Shop and have fun trying out something new while you make a mug rug, a gift for yourself or someone else. This class starts in March (both day and evening). Check the calendar or the newsletter for dates and times.

Sew Happy Me has a Love Cushion tutorial. Really cute.

Stay Positive!
Caroll

4 comments:

Linda said...

That's a great idea for new technique trials. Love all the mug rugs! Especially the Dresden!!

Mama Pea said...

I love your little mug rugs. You are right. It's such a great idea for trying out new ideas. I love all your permutations. Is this the class you said I should do or will your applique be something else. Be sure to give me the heads up, okay? :-)

Mary said...

Love the mug rugs. You are right, it is a great way to try new things. I need to try more. Thank you for sharing.

Nancy Page said...

Love these Mug Rugs! They are super nice and show lots of thinking. And you are so correct, they are a great way to learn a new technique. Well done.

Have a super great sewing day.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo