Monday, February 14, 2011

HAVE YOU TRIED FREEZER PAPER APPLIQUE?


Last week when a co-worker asked me how I did appliqué, I was delighted.  Misti, is new to quilting.  I’ve been trying to help her when I can and she’s really done quite well on her own, finishing several quilts.  When she asked me about appliqué, I insisted that I show her my freezer paper method.  Above she is taking copious notes. (Please ignore messy background. We are creating!  ;o)

Here, she is cutting out the freezer paper pieces. (For full instructions on my method of appliqué, click on the Witch’s Feet on the side bar).

Here Misti is pulling the fabric around the template.  Note the old ice pick she is using.  When I first started doing this method of appliqué, I didn’t have a stiletto and used what I had.  Since then, I’ve continued to use this antique.  I think it has a certain appeal (well, maybe just a conversation piece). 

Here she is practicing pulling the starched fabric around the template and ironing at the same time.

I’m sorry that the above picture is a little blurry.  After Misti took the freezer paper templates away from the fabric, she then pinned her fabric pieces to the background and applied small dots of Roxanne’s glue.
This is her completed block. Notice: no pins and the block is ready to sew. I like this method for a couple reasons. I know exactly what my piece will look like before I ever take that first stitch. Also, once I get my blocks to this stage, I can take them anywhere to do the sewing. I think Misti did a great job, don’t you?

I saw this on the Quilting Board. These instructions are part of the Alternate Finishes Series and are for various edges/bindings.

Stay Positive!
Caroll

7 comments:

Barb said...

I love freezer paper applique....that block is adorable!!

Mama Pea said...

Woo hoo! Way to go, Misti! And way to go Caroll for teaching her and spreading the love! I like this method a lot, too! I also like the starch method.

Marjorie said...

I'm a back-basting girl. It saves several steps and the pieces are basted right where they belong.

Linda said...

I love to use freezer paper to make it look like needeturn. Love it!

Miss Hillbilly said...

I am new to hand applique and have been reading about several techniques. Thanks for your tutorial. It is helpful...if I could only find time to try it out!

Nancy Page said...

Great post and instructions for the freezer paper applique method. The block is as sweet as can be. Thank you for sharing this information.

Have a super great day.

Pieceful Jane said...

I still use this as my preferred method of applique ever since you taught me back in '07. It really gives me great results.

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo