Friday, June 26, 2009

LESSON FIVE


Why Every Woman Needs a Needle

Lesson 5: My mother was a strong woman, running my childhood home with a stern hand. For some reason I did not grow up to be like her. I had no confidence. I’ll never forget the time when I was a grown woman with children of my own and standing in Mom’s kitchen stirring a pan of gravy. As we were preparing Sunday dinner, she said to me that she didn’t understand women who had no self confidence. She then took the spoon from my hand and told me to stir the gravy “like this.” It was after years of being on my own, and attending quilting classes and socializing with my quilting friends that I realized I had gained confidence.

It’s funny how your mind works sometimes. I put orphan blocks onto my design wall because I was afraid that out of sight out of mind, and my intention is to do something with them someday. When you go into my sewing room the design wall is the first thing you see. One day it dawned on me that two dissimilar blocks on the design wall went together nicely. I started fiddling around and darn if the bright fabrics and the 30’s fabrics didn’t look okay together. So I took the plunge and made a quilt of my own design. What confidence it gave me. What did I learn from this: to paraphrase a cartoon character: “It’s okay to be me!”
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. ~Henry Ford

I hope you’ve liked my Why Every Woman Needs a Needle lessons. I’ve enjoyed sharing with you.
Until next time: Happy Quilting
Caroll

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

I like the block shown on this post. It's cheerful! Enjoyed your story!

lkjlkj

Attic Window Teachers

Attic Window Teachers
Attic Window Teachers

Quilting for Kids With Cancer

Quilting for Kids With Cancer
Generosity has no bounds. Above are the women in the Quilts For Kids group at the Attic Window Quilt Shop. Left to right, Henrietta, Phyllis, Nancy, Carol, Karen. These women donate their time, fabric, money once a month to make quilts for kids who have cancer.

Quilts For Wheels

Quilts For Wheels
Many thanks and much appreciation goes to the women who work diligently each month to make quilts for those in wheel chairs. Kudos go to: Yvonne, Mary T., Fran, Joan, Mary Ellen, Barb, Lee Ann, Nancy, Mary.
Quilting Bloggers Logo